It’s the beginning of January, and we have a fresh new year ahead of us! By now, you may have set some New Year’s resolutions in place to help improve different aspects of your life. Whether it be financial, academic, fitness, or a personal goal, there are many areas that one can choose to better in their lives. Did you know that the worldwide tradition of setting New Year’s resolutions dates back to the ancient Babylonians? Although it was initially created as a way to pay homage to their king and to kick off the start of their year with a solid farming season of crops.
So, what does all this have to do with HVAC? Well, your local Five Star Heating & Cooling Group experts want to help you improve your HVAC maintenance habits, too. Naturally, as a homeowner, you want your system running smoothly for as long as possible. This can be achieved by simply improving your HVAC habits with the eight following steps:
- RESOLVE TO KEEP UP WITH YOUR SEASONAL MAINTENANCE CHECKS – We’ve said it before and will say it until the end of time – your seasonal maintenance checks matter! We know that sometimes it may be tempting to forgo a maintenance check when everything seems to be working fine, and nothing is wrong with your unit. But remember that the point of a maintenance check is to enforce preventative care. A lot of times, minor, unnoticed issues can continue for a good bit before they evolve into a more significant issue. When this happens, you risk long-term damage to your unit. Plus, skipping your seasonal maintenance checks will void your manufacturer’s warranty. This year, don’t wait for a breakdown to happen. Resolve to stay up to date with your seasonal maintenance checks by scheduling one for your AC in the spring and one for your furnace before its first use in the fall.
- RESOLVE TO CHANGE YOUR AIR FILTERS ON TIME – This is one of the simplest things you can do to maintain your HVAC unit all year! Dirty air filters can make your system work harder when they are bogged down with dust and loose particles. When this occurs, your system will use more energy and cost you more money in the long run. This year, you can make it a goal to check and change those filters every 1-2 months as recommended per industry standards.
- RESOLVE TO CLEAN YOUR HVAC VENTS REGULARLY – Dusty vents can affect your home’s air quality and impede your HVAC system’s efficiency. So, make it a point to include your HVAC vents in your regular cleaning routine to keep those vents dust-free and improve overall air quality.
- RESOLVE TO UPGRADE TO A SMART THERMOSTAT – Are you still using a standard thermostat in your home? If you’ve thought about upgrading to a smart thermostat, this year is the opportune time to jump on the wagon and get your own! What’s the fuss all about, and why are they so helpful? By investing in a smart thermostat, you can remotely control your home’s temperature, making it easier to save energy and keep up with your HVAC system when you are at work or away from home for a trip. You can also set temperatures to automatically coincide with your weekly schedule. Plus, the good news is there are various affordable options available. So, start your year off the smart way with a smart thermostat. Feel free to give us a call to discuss your options!
- RESOLVE TO CHECK YOUR ATTIC INSULATION – If your HVAC system seems like it’s constantly running or perhaps there are rooms in your home that don’t seem very well regulated, insufficient insulation in your attic could be the culprit. When there is a lack of proper insulation, it can cause temperature fluctuations in your home and put added strain on your HVAC system to keep up with the temperature. If you can safely check the insulation depth in your attic, we suggest doing so. Per industry standards, you should have at least ten inches of insulation. If you find out your attic insulation is any less than this, we highly suggest you consider forming a plan to upgrade your insulation this year.
- RESOLVE TO CLEAN YOUR CEILING FANS AND LIGHT FIXTURES FREQUENTLY – Dusty ceiling fans and light fixtures are another component of your home that can negatively impact indoor air quality and put extra strain on your HVAC system. So, it’s a good idea to add these to your HVAC resolutions and include them in your cleaning regimen.
- RESOLVE TO KEEP YOUR CONDENSER CLEAR – Regularly checking and clearing the area around your condenser can prevent unnecessary issues or breakdowns. Even during the winter when the AC is not in use, you should still make it a habit to check the condenser frequently and ensure nothing has fallen onto or near your condenser.
- RESOLVE TO GET YOUR DUCTWORK CLEANED – Can you remember the last time you had your ducts cleaned? Dirty or clogged ductwork can affect your HVAC system’s efficiency and indoor air quality. After all, it is the component of your HVAC system used to distribute the air throughout your home. So, if it is laden with dust particles, pet fur, and other loose debris accumulated from previous years, it will adversely affect your home’s indoor air quality (IAQ). Typically, you should have your ducts cleaned every three to five years. If it’s been a while since you have had this done (especially if you have pets), make it a priority to perform this service this year.
By implementing these eight HVAC resolutions into your year, you’ll be well on your way to a healthier, more efficient HVAC system. Remember, prevention is key to avoiding unexpected breakdowns and costly repairs. Good practices will keep HVAC catastrophes at bay and can help extend the longevity of your HVAC system, resulting in a hopefully issue-free and smoother year for you!
Call Five Star Heating & Cooling Group at any time all year long (614) 490-7550, or schedule an appointment online now by clicking here!